Spotlight on Education in Florida
Learn about public education issues, advocacy, and legislative goals
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports Florida’s constitutional requirement to make adequate provision for the education of all children that is ‘uniform, efficient, safe, secure and high quality’. We support a free public-school system for Florida with high standards for student achievement and with quality of educational opportunity for all that is financed adequately by the state through an equitable funding formula.
Issues for Action:
- Promote adequate funding of public education with no use of public funding for the expansion of funding of private education through a voucher program.
- Support a curricular framework that includes broad common standards developed by educational experts that serves as a guide to local districts.
- Support the increased oversite of the development and implementation of charter school contracts with regard to administrative fees, facility contracts, teacher salaries and benefits, and instructional innovation, independence of charter board members, and unmet need in the district.
- Support a statewide assessment and accountability system that provides valid data and appropriate intervals to measure student progress for all students and schools that receive public funds directly and indirectly. Data should be used to identify areas where increased support is needed.
- Support higher standards for early childhood education staff and programs.
- Charter school quality, management, and cost-efficiency.
- Constitutionality of direct and indirect funding to support private schools. See LWVUS positions on vouchers and tax credit scholarships.
- Impact of testing and school grade policies on teaching, learning, and curriculum.
- Impact of school choice on school racial and economic segregation and local control of education policy.
Join the LWVFL Education Team!
You must be a member of the League of Women Voters of Florida or one of our Local Chapters to participate, please become a member.
Latest on Education
from the LWVFL
How you can get involved
Sign up to get news and alerts by email