Spotlight on Gun Violence prevention in Florida
Learn about gun safety issues, advocacy, and legislative goals
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports regulations concerning the purchase, ownership, and use of handguns and aims to secure equal rights and equal opportunity for all. We promote social and economic justice and the health and safety of all Americans. By supporting regulations concerning the purchase, ownership and use of handguns that balance as, nearly as possible, individual constitutional rights with the general interest and welfare of the community.
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports regulations concerning the purchase, ownership, and use of handguns that balance as nearly as possible individual constitutional rights with the general interest and welfare of the community. (1989)
The League supports licensing procedures for gun ownership by private citizens to include a waiting period for a background check, personal identity veriﬁcation, gun safety education, and annual license renewal.
Issues for Action:
- Support changes in the law to allow local communities to enact ordinances for any type of gun safety measures in their jurisdiction.
- Support expansion of mandated background checks and three-day waiting periods for ALL gun sales or transfers including gun shows and unlicensed gun sales.
The League of Women Voters of Florida seeks to reduce and prevent gun crimes, injuries, and deaths via:
- A state ban on all semiautomatic assault weapons and large-capacity feeding devices
- Comprehensive universal background checks and ensuring that the State provides all relevant records to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)
- Continuing efforts to defeat unsafe gun legislation, such as Open Carry, Campus Carry, and Stand Your Ground expansion.
The impact of SB 7030
Under the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program, individuals who exclusively perform duties as classroom teachers were exempt from participating in the program. SB 7030 repealed that provision.
Gun Safety in Florida Chair: Cathy Swerdlow
– Click here to contact Cathy.
Join the LWVFL Gun Safety Team!
You must be a member of the League of Women Voters of Florida or one of our Local Chapters to participate, please become a member
Latest on Gun Violence Prevention
from the LWVFL
League of Women Voters Urges Legislative Action after Ybor City Shooting
LWV of Florida, New York, U.S. Respond to SCOTUS New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen Ruling
LWV of Florida Urges State Legislators to Hold Special Session regarding Gun Violence
LWVFL Capitol Report: 2021 Legislative Session Wrap Up
in Gun Reform
How you can get involved
Sign up to get news and alerts by email