Spotlight on Natural Resources in Florida
Learn about natural resource issues, advocacy, and legislative goals
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports state legislation for energy conservation and greater use of renewable sources like solar energy. The League supports policies that promote conservation of freshwater and its availability for environmental, public, agricultural, industrial, and mining uses on a priority basis. The League of Women Voters also supports legislation to ban oil and gas drilling off Florida’s coast, as well as funding for public transportation.
The League of Women Voters believes in promoting that Florida’s environment is beneficial to the life of every Floridian through the protection and wise management of natural resources in the public interest by recognizing the interrelationship of air quality, energy, land use, waste management, and waste resources.
We believe in promoting resource conservation, stewardship, and long-range planning, with the responsibility for managing natural resources shared by all levels of government. The League of Women Voters of Florida supports public policies that provide for cooperative, coordinated planning for and decisions about land use in Florida including methods for resolution of conﬂicts.
Issues for Action:
- Support the preparation and implementation of a new state growth management plan that addresses current needs.
- Support the implementation of the Water and Land Legacy Amendment consistent with the intent of the adopted language.
- Using the Florida Forever Fund in the support of the Water and Land Legacy Act and to protect our state parks.
- The League of Women Voters supports banning “fracking” along Florida’s Coast.
- Support the restoration and protection of our water and aquifers
- Support and Promote a carbon-free Florida
- Implement Sustainability and Adaption Planning for climate change
Addressing the Climate Change Crisis
The Natural Resource Committee is focused on the impact of the Red Tide and Blue-Green Algae crisis, and action steps we can take moving forward. Click here for a comprehensive page on this issue.
Natural Resources in Florida Chair: Judy Hushon firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the LWVFL Natural Resources Team!
You must be a member of the League of Women Voters of Florida or one of our Local Chapters to participate, please become a member
Latest on Natural Resources
from the LWVFL
in Natural Resources
How you can get involved
Sign up to get news and alerts by email