Spotlight on Women’s Reproductive Health in Florida
Learn about women’s reproductive health issues, advocacy, and legislative goals
The League believes in the power of women to create a more perfect democracy, and we believe protection for reproductive health decisions is a democracy issue. Without the ability to make reproductive decisions for one’s own body, women and those who can become pregnant cannot participate equally in our democracy. This harm will exacerbate societal inequalities and fall disproportionately on people of color and low-income communities already facing egregious obstacles to health care.
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports every woman’s right to access affordable, high-quality reproductive health care, including access to abortion services and birth control. Public policy in a pluralistic society must affirm the constitutional right to privacy of the individual to make reproductive choices.
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports treating reproductive rights — including access to abortion — as a healthcare issue decidable by a woman and her qualified healthcare provider.
Through comprehensive sex education in schools, we can help to prevent unintended pregnancy. With increased access to publicly-funded family planning services and information on sexually transmitted diseases and birth control, Florida can decrease unintended pregnancies and other healthcare issues.
In collaboration with 50+ organizations in the Floridians for Reproductive Freedom (FRF) coalition in opposition to current or proposed restrictions on birth control and or abortion, the League of Women Voters of Florida has ensured that our voice is heard. (Click here for FRF website or for FRF Facebook Group).
ENSURE THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO ABORTION IN FLORIDA
A coalition entitled “Floridians Protecting Freedom” has launched a citizen-led ballot initiative campaign to give women the right to seek abortions up to viability.
The League of Women Voters of Florida Board of Directors has voted to support this citizen initiative effort.
- Provide women with information on the full range of reproductive healthcare
- Support of legislation that advances reproductive rights and comprehensive sex education
- Oppose legislation that puts restrictions on healthcare options for women.
- Initiate a campaign to write Letters-to-the-Editor in support of reproductive rights.
- Raise awareness of the impact on reproductive rights in Supreme Court cases, Nominations to State and Federal Courts and how Crisis Pregnancy Centers are funded
What can you do?
- Participate in the Reproductive Health & Justice Committee monthly phone calls on the 2nd Monday of each month at noon. You must pre-register to receive call-in instructions
- Find out about RHJ committee activities in your area by using the LWVFL chapters list.
Reproductive Health and Justice Issue Co Chairs: Ginger Mundy & Stacey Kroto
Join the LWVFL Reproductive Health and Justice Team!
You must be a member of the League of Women Voters of Florida or one of our Local Chapters to participate, please become a member
Latest on Reproductive Health & Justice
from the LWVFL
LWV of Florida To Support Amendment to Limit Government Interference with Abortion
LWV Statement on Supreme Court Stripping Americans of Constitutional Right to Abortion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization Decision
LWVFL Responds to Florida Legislature’s Anticipated Restrictive Reproductive Legislation
LWVFL Capitol Report: 2021 Legislative Session Wrap Up
in Reproductive Health & Justice
How you can get involved
Sign up to get news and alerts by email