2021 Legislative Priorities of the League of Women Voters of Florida
Learn about our specific legislative goals pertaining to our areas of focus
The League is a grassroots organization and as such, we focus on the issues that our members care the most about. Each year, our membership is polled to see which issues are most important to them. Every local league submits priorities. After tabulating each local league’s submissions, the top four areas become priorities for the annual legislative session.
Government – Election Law
- Support automatic voter registration (opt-out system), same-day voter registration, improved online voter registration, and make vote by mail a permanent status.
- Extend deadlines for signature cures and recounts, and allow 10 days for postmark delays.
- Support home rule for counties and municipalities and oppose any preemptive legislation to counter home rule.
- Continue to support restoration of rights following the passage of 2018’s Amendment 4.
- Support expansion of Medicaid to all poor working families, to include funding for KidCare mental health services, substance abuse and dental care.
- Oppose barriers to abortion and any state funding for state mandated counseling.
- Oppose any efforts to strip away pre existing conditions from the Affordable Cares Act.
Environment + Natural Resources
- Support FULL funding of the Florida Forever Amendment to protect and monitor our drinking water, prevent saltwater intrusion and work on Everglades Restoration.
- Support a statewide ban on fracking
- Financially support the impact on lower income and minority communities who are disproportionally impacted by proximity to industrial pollution and poor air quality.
- Support legislation that would promote the use of solar, wind power and electric vehicles.
- Support adequate funding for school facilities and operations for the 2021-22 school years to meet the needs of Florida’s schools.
- Support curriculum developed by educational experts and is science-based.
- Support a statewide assessment and accountability system that provides the same data at appropriate intervals to measure student progress for all schools that receive public funds, directly or indirectly.
- Support higher standards for early childhood education, for both staff and programs.
- Oppose any public dollars for private school vouchers
- Oppose any effort to arm teachers, or anyone who is not a law enforcement officer
National Popular Vote
Ethics & Campaign Finance
Reproductive Health & Justice
Sign up to get news and alerts by email